Sale-A-Bration

Sale-A-Bration is here! For every $50 you spend, you get your choice of free products from Stampin' Up! Stamps, paper, accessories, and digital content are available. You don't want to miss your chance to earn some fabulous product.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Faux Marble - Shaving Cream

As promised in a previous post, here is Phoebe's birthday invitation design using shaving cream to create a fun marble look.  My kids absolutely LOVED this technique.  When I finished making the paper, Liam actually shouted "FANTASTIC!"  He also used my iPhone the entire time to take photos of the process so I'll share some of those interesting shots.  For additional details, including better photos, visit Splitcoast Stampers resource gallery.


I should also add that I could have used less shaving cream but it was my first time and I wanted to be sure I had enough to cover a full 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of card stock.  I thought I had left enough in the can for a few more shaves by my husband, but he said I used up all he had and used that as an excuse not to shave for a few days.  He's restocked now so I'm actually considering trying this technique again with some other colors to recreate Tessa's Autumn Build A Bear.  I'm also looking forward to trying this technique with some softer, more subtle colors for Easter.


To create the marble appearance on your card stock, you'll need the following:
  • Shaving cream- try to get unscented if you can.  All of Phoebe's have a cologne smell. 
  • 2-3 different re-inker colors.  I only used two, Melon Mambo and Rich Razzleberry
  • Whisper White Card Stock
  • Cookie sheet or other similar pan
  • Paper towels
Spread your shaving cream onto your cookie sheet.  Add several drops of each re-inker color all over the shaving cream.  Use a skewer or plastic knife to swirl the color through your shaving cream until you have a marble appearance.  Carefully lay your card stock on top of the shaving cream and apply gentle pressure.  Pull the card stock up and "kiss" it against a second piece of card stock.  Set one piece aside while you work with the other piece of card stock.  Use paper towels to wipe the shaving cream from your card stock.  Wipe in a swirling motion/pattern.  Set aside and dry.  Repeat with the second sheet of paper.  Make as many as you need.  Depending on how many pieces you are making, you may have to add more shaving cream and re-inker to freshen things.


Once I had my marbled paper, I was ready to make invitations.   For Phoebe's invitations, I used the following:
  • The Marbled Paper Created Above
  • Rich Razzleberry Card Stock
  • Melon Mambo Card Stock
  • Basic Black Card Stock
  • Extreme Guitar Stamp Set
  • Classic Stars Jumbo Wheel (and handle)
  • Silver Encore Stamp Pad
  • Versamark Stamp Pad
  • Black Stampin' Emboss Powder
  • Embossing Gun
I cut my marbled paper to the desired size and then I stamped the guitarist onto the marbled paper using the Versamark Stamp Pad and then added the embossing powder, heating to set the powder.  I used the Rich Razzleberry for my invitation base, cutting to 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches.  On each invitation, I stamped the Classic Stars using the Silver stamp pad.  I cut my Melon Mambo to the same size as the marbled pieces and adhered it to the invitation on an angle.  I stamped "You're Invited" onto my Basic Black.  The sentiment is from the retired All Year Cheer II, but the Mark the Date stamp set would work really well.  I punched my "you're invited" sentiments using my Round Tab Punch and then adhered that to the Melon Mambo.  I then layered the guitar "hero" onto the Melon Mambo, slightly offset. 

When it comes to invitations, I'm too lazy to write out all the invitation details so I print the invitation information using my computer (FYI, My Digital Studio is great for this), cut to size and adhere to the back.  I also added the star from the now retired hostess set "A Little Somethin'"  It says "Rock Star" and I stamped it onto Melon Mambo and embossed with the black.  I didn't show photos of this side since I didn't really do much to highlight current products. 

Phoebe and I really love the way her invitations turned out.  Yes, the invitations still smell a little like shaving cream, but it improves with each day.  I'm sure Phoebe will have a great party later this month and I'll post the photos of the party favors and cake afterward. 

Now it is your turn, raid your husband's side of the medicine cabinet and start making some cards.  Just be sure to leave him enough to shave the next day or you'll have to kiss a stuble face.

God Bless and Happy Stampin'!
Charity

No comments:

Post a Comment