Sale-A-Bration

Sale-A-Bration is here! For every $50 you spend, you get your choice of free products from Stampin' Up! Stamps, paper, accessories, and digital content are available. You don't want to miss your chance to earn some fabulous product.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cars Party Favors- Tow Mater and Lightening McQueen

A few weeks ago I posted the proto-type for our party planned party favors to Liam's 4th birthday party.  It's time to see a the final product and get the details on how to make a car.  Many of the pieces are just cut free hand and I did not really create a template.  If you needed one, I could probably create something and email it to you.  I'll include lots of photos of the finished product and some of the "building blocks" as well.

This approach/technique can be easily adapted for any of your favorite Cars characters depending on the colors you select.  The car top is the same for any of the cars, it is just the personal details that change.
First things first, start with a match box cut using the Big Shot and Match Box die.  Assemble per the normal instructions.  For Lightening, use Real Red.  For Mater, use Soft Suede or another suitable brown hue. 

For the car top/cab, you need to cut a 2 x 2 1/2 inch piece of card stock.  Score at 1/4", 3/4", 1 1/2" and 2 1/4".  Crease each score so that you have two 1/4 inch tabs on each end.  The tabs will be glued to the top of the matchbox to create the roof.   This step is the same for both characters.

I cut the "whites" of the eyes free hand with my paper snips, starting with a piece of Whisper White card stock that matched the dimensions of the car front. I punched two black dots uing a Standard Sized Hole Punch (retired), but you could also use the Crop-A-Dile. For the wheels, use the 3/4 inch Circle Punch and then the standard size punch to add a Whisper White circle to the center. I cut a free hand shape for head lights and tail lights on McQueen.  I added some detail, including the 95 using my Dusty Durango In Color Marker.  I also downloaded free clipart to create a lightening bolt logo for the side and a Rust-eze logo for the back.

For McQueen's spoiler, you need a 1 x 2 inch piece of card stock.  Score at 1/4 inch and fold such that the larger part is going up.  Glue the 1/4 inch tab onto the car.

For Mater's headlights, I used the standard size holes and cut the tow hook/support and teeth free hand. Use the Stampin' Write Basic Black marker to draw a mouth on on both characters.  For Mater, you'll need to add the teeth after you draw the mouth.
The best way to figure out how to add the details and pieces to create your characters is to study any pictures you have from the web, coloring books, stickers and other books.  I think I've also watched the movie a few dozen times with Liam. 

For Liam's party, I'll only be making Tow Mater and Lightening McQueen.  However, someone at work has requested a set so I may try to make some of the other characters as well to fill out her set.  Plus, I think I like the challenge.

Here are some more photos to help show the details:





Now to find some cars and stickers to fit inside.  I'm looking forward to his party and sharing pictures of his cake and decorations.

God Bless and Happy Stampin'!
Charity

2 comments: