Sale-A-Bration

Sale-A-Bration is here! For every $50 you spend, you get your choice of free products from Stampin' Up! Stamps, paper, accessories, and digital content are available. You don't want to miss your chance to earn some fabulous product.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stampin' Up! Portland Regionals - I got to present!

I was so busy getting ready for Regionals in Portland that I did not get a chance to post anything before we left.  I had entered a project for consideration as a Workshop WOW demonstration on stage.  A Workshop WOW demonstration is a presentation by a demonstrator where a product is used in a way that is unique or different.  I decided to submit my Build A Bear Thanksgiving Turkeys.  On October 13th, I got a call from Stampin' Up! demonstrator training that I was selected to present during the October 23 Regional in Portland.  How exciting!  And nerve racking! 

I did have to adapt the original design as I had previously used the Coluzzle to cut all my ovals and I had used some now retired colors.  For my submittal, I used 1 3/4" x 3/8" oval punch and the scallop oval punch.  I also changed the colors to Chocolate Chip, Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie, Cherry Cobbler, and Garden Green so that I could use current colors.  And, I finally attached the bears to something!  I know, you're shocked and amazed! 

In my previous post, I did not provide detailed, step by step instructions so I will post those for the Turkey now:

Supplies:
Cardstocks: Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, Early Espresso, Whisper White, More Mustard, Cajun Craze, Pumpkin Pie, Garden Green, and Cherry Cobbler
Designer Series Paper: Autumn Spice, Walk in the Park
Die Cuts: Kooky Spooky, Bear Bigz Die, Naturally Serif
Punches: Oval Punch (1 3/4 x 7/8 inch), Scallop Oval Punch, 1/2 inch circle punch
Stampin’ Write Markers: Basic Black, Early Espresso
Classic Stampin’ Pad: Cajun Craze
Stamp Sets: Paisley Prints
Accessories: Big Shot, Paper Snips, Snail Adhesive, and 2-Way Glue Pen
Instructions:
1. To create the bear, cut the following:
a. Bear from Chocolate Chip
b. Muzzle from Early Espresso
c. Pumpkin Costume from Crumb Cake
d. Broom from Crumb Cake
e. 3/4 x 1 inch More Mustard Rectangle
f. 1 x 1 1/2 inch Chocolate Chip Rectangle
g. 1 ½ inch circle from Chocolate Chip
h. 2 ½ inch circles from Whisper White
i. Ovals: Approximately 3 each from Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Cherry Cobbler and Garden Green
j. Scalloped Ovals: Approximately 5 each from Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Cherry Cobbler and Garden Green
2. To create the sign, trim the straw part of the broom. Layer the More Mustard rectangle onto the Chocolate Chip rectangle and add the words “Eat Beef!” using the Chocolate Chip Stampin’ Write Marker. Adhere the rectangle to the top of the broom.
3. To create the turkey costume, trim the top of the pumpkin to round out the neckline. Discard the extra piece. Adhere the pumpkin face to the bear.
4. Alternating the colors, begin layering the ovals onto the pumpkin. It is best to line up the first oval with the edge of the pumpkin closest to the arm. Alternate the colors. The first row should have 5 ovals. Continue with a second row of ovals, alternating the colors ending with six ovals in the row.
5. For the tail plume, use the scallop ovals, layering the ovals in rows similar to the front of the bear.
6. Add the muzzle to the bears face as would normally done for the bears.
7. For the hat, create eyes by cutting the ½ inch chocolate chip circles in half and adhering onto the Whisper White circles. Trim the stem and bottom of the pumpkin hat as shown in the photo. Cut one More Mustard Oval in Half, trimming a bit for fit. Use a cherry cobbler oval to trim the red piece that hangs done in front (I don’t remember what it is called, but I think I called it a gobble when I was a kid). Add to the bear.
8. Add the sign.
9. At this point, for the workshop guests, they’d simply add their turkey to the front of a card. For the WOW, I’d continue with the following to create Thanksgiving Wall Art:
a. From the Walk in the Park Designer Series Paper, cut a 6 x 12 inch piece using the wood grain print.
b. Cut a 5 ½ x 11 ½ inch piece of Autumn Spice Designer Series Paper. Adhere to the Walk in the Park piece.
c. Adhere the completed bear to one side.
d. Cut out the letters for “Give Thanks” and add to the paper.
e. Stamp two leaves from using Paisley Prints and Cajun Craze onto Cajun Craze card stock. Cut out and distress. Add to the corner of the paper.
f. Place in frame.

I also created some additional Thanksgiving bears and added them to a pumpkin basket that I created using the Pillow Box Die Cut.  Visit the resource section on SplitCoast for more details on that.  I did add a few extra pillow boxes to increase the size so I had plenty of room for all four bears.  I also added a leaf from Paisley Prints to complete the pumpkin basket.
 
I have not created detailed instructions for the Pilgrim and Native American.  I used the Beary Essentials die for most of their clothing and then cut free hand shapes for the collars and embellishments.  I used Beary Merry for the Pilgrim buckles.  For the Pilgrim girl, I lengthened her skirt for modesty.  For the Pilgrim boys stockings, I just cut some extra bear legs out of Whisper White.
 
And, just to show the full versatility of these bears and since I grew up in Forks, home of vampires, I made a Twilight Bear- Edward Cullen.  This was a big hit with all the Twilight fans in the room. 
 
 
After the presentation, my projects were put on display on the Workshop WOW board. 
 
As a presentor, I not only got to be on stage, but I got to see Shelli Gardner again and my family got to meet her as well when they dropped me off and helped me carry in all my stuff.  This was a big thrill for Tessa.  She and Liam had made cards for Shelli.  We even got a picture of Tessa and I with Shelli.  And, the card Tessa made was also well recieved by a fellow demonstrator who said it was the best use of C is for Cat she has seen.  Tessa felt pretty good when she heard that piece of information!  
 
I'll share our Regional Make and Takes as well as my SWAPs in the weeks to come as I work through my back log of projects.
 
God Bless and Happy Stampin'!
 
Charity
 

No comments:

Post a Comment