Sale-A-Bration

Sale-A-Bration is here! For every $50 you spend, you get your choice of free products from Stampin' Up! Stamps, paper, accessories, and digital content are available. You don't want to miss your chance to earn some fabulous product.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Birthday Greeting

My friend and fellow Stampin' Up! TM enthusiast, Diana, celebrated her birthday last Friday.  If she's like me, it was her 29th.  LOL  The girls and I decided she needed some cards and since our Tote-ally Tess set had just arrived, we all opted to use Tote-ally Tess.  The girls were actually the first to use this stamp set, but that is no surprise. 

First, I'll share the cards the girls made.  Here is Tessa's Card:




Now Phoebe's card:



Last but not least, Isabel's card:



Isabel added the sentiment, "and so is your birthday" on the back of the card.  I already know that this stamp set is going to be used often in our household.

Now for the card and treat I made.  As I said before, I wanted to use Tote-ally Tess.  For her clothes, I used the paper piecing technique.  For paper piecing, you stamp your image on muliple colors/types of papers and then cut the sections you need and glue them to your main image.  It's a pretty simple technique but requires sharp scissors and a steady hand to be sure you get clean lines.  I also incorporated a the faux marble technique using shaving cream.  I had tried this for Phoebe's birthday invitations and had some pieces left over when I cut the pieces I needed for her invitations.  I'll share those later.
For this card, you will need the following items:
  • Tote-ally Tess stamp set
  • The More the Merrier Stamp Set
  • Melon Mambo and Rich Razzleberry Re-inkers
  • Brocade Blue card stock
  • Bermuda Bay card stock
  • Very Vanila card stock
  • Melon Mambo Patterns Designer Series Paper
  • Stampin' Pastels
  • Watercolor Pencils
  • Melon Mambo Classic Stampin' Pad
  • Bermuda Bay Classic Stampin' Pad
  • Versamark Pen
  • Black Embossing Powder
  • Crystal Effects
  • Shimmer Paint
  • Shaving Cream
For the faux marble technique, you need some shaving cream and your re-inkers.  Spread your shaving cream out onto a cookie sheet or other pan.  You need enough to cover a surface the size of your paper.  Add a few drops of your two re-inker colors to your shaving cream and then swirl them around to get a marbled effect.  Similar to the way you'd do a marble cake.  Then, lay your paper on top of the shaving cream making sure you get all the paper covered with shaving cream.  You'll have quite a bit of shaving cream on your paper so kiss it against another piece of card stock to transfer some of the cream.  Then, wipe off the cream using a paper towel and a swirling pattern as you wipe.  Then, let it dry.  Once dry, cut it into the desired size/shape.  You can stamp images onto this as I ended up doing with Phoebe's invites which I'll share later this week.

To create Tess, I first stamped her onto the Very Vanilla.  I colored the shoes with the Versamark Pen and then sprinkled a bit of Black Embossing Powder and used my heat gun to set it.  You have to do this more quickly than you do when using a stamp pad.  I used my Pastels for her face and hair.  I then stamped Tess onto the DSP and the Brocade Blue, cutting out just the blouse and pants.  I glued the pants and then the shirt onto my Very Vanilla image, completing Tess.  I also brushed the edges of my card stock with Melon Mambo ink.

The cupcake is from The More the Merrier as is the sentiment.  I stamped the cupcake and then colored with Watercolor Pencils.   I cut out the cupcake and added to Tess's hands.  I layered the sentiment onto a piece of my shaving cream marble paper.  I also added a strip of the marble paper onto the left side of my card which uses the Bermuda Bay card stock.  On the inside, I stamped a birthday sentiment.


For Diana's gift, I knew Stampin' Up! TM products would be enjoyed so I created a little gift bag and filled it with a bunch of goodies: felt flowers, ribbons (including the now retired Baja Breeze which is Diana's favorite), library clibs, Pretties Kit flowers, Hodgepodge Hardware, etc.  I got the idea for the box from Monika Davis.  She used a different scallop punch but since that one isn't in my supplies yet, I used my standard scallop punch, but it can be done without a punch.  Basically, you just need a square divided into nine equal smaller squares like a Tic-Tac-Toe board.  In the corner squares, you need to also score on a diagonal so it folds in.  Monika did such a great job with her tutorial I won't try to recreate, just follow the link for more details.  I used Bermuda Bay card stock, Pretty in Pink grosgrain ribbon, and the retired felt flowers in Chocolate Chip and Pretty in Pink.  I would have used my new Sweet Pea Stitched Felt but couldn't find them.

When I got to work, Diana was not at her desk so I set up her box and cards so they'd be the first things she saw when she returned to her desk.  Happy Birthday again to Diana, I hope that you had more wonderful surprises waiting for you after work.

God Bless and Happy Stampin!
Charity

1 comment:

  1. Charity, finding the cards from the girls and yourself (Tim and Liam too) when I got to work was fantastic. I especially liked the gift bag - it is so cool - with all the treats you put inside (love the Baja Breeze). You definately made my birthday extra special. I can't wait for the next class. I always have a such a good time at your classes because you are so creative and have such wonderful ideas just being around you is fun. Thank you for being my friend, Diana

    ReplyDelete