Sale-A-Bration

Sale-A-Bration is here! For every $50 you spend, you get your choice of free products from Stampin' Up! Stamps, paper, accessories, and digital content are available. You don't want to miss your chance to earn some fabulous product.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Advent Calendar


This idea was inspired by a similar calendar in the October 2009 issue of Stampin' Success. The artists at Stampin' Up!™ created one as a Halloween countdown. I was immediately inspired to create a similar one for Christmas.

Each panel is an 8 1/2 x 11 panel. My color palette is Real Red, Garden Green, Crushed Curry, Kraft, Whisper White, Old Olive, and Chocolate Chip. I also used Merry Moments and Christmas Cocoa Speciality Designer Series Papers. The Christmas Cocoa Specialty Designer Series Paper is available in the current Holiday Mini Catalog. This paper includes two one sided designs that are flocked.

On the top and bottom panels, I layered 9 1 3/8" circles punched from the Crushed Curry card stock. I made 24 envelopes. The 25th day is at the bottom and does not have an envelope, but one could be added. Each day envelope square is made using the Petal Card die cut- folded and decorated in a different way for each day.
I used a variety of stamp sets to decorate my envelopes, hopefully, I won't miss any: Patterned Pines, Season of Friendship, Best Wishes and More, Wings of Friendship, Teeny Tiny Wishes, Fundamental Phrases, The More the Merrier, and Christ is Born.

For embellishments, I used grosgrain ribbons in Real Red, Whisper White, Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip and Old Olive. I also used silver elastic cord, which is currently available in the Holiday Mini. Additional embellishments included Very Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware, Jumbo Brads, Circle Designer Brads and Silver Brads. I also used a variety of Big Shot dies and punches- Top Note Die, Snowflake #2 Die, Stars #2 Die, Modern Label Punch, Designer Label Punch, 1 3/8" Punch, Slit Punch, and the 3/4" Circle Punch.

I've included photos of the various panels. There really is no set rule to decorating the envelopes and panels. I tried to make full use of all the scraps left behind when I used my die cuts.
The envelopes might fit a very small piece of candy if you like. In our family, we use our advent calendars to carve out some family time during the busy holiday season. We typically do an object lesson with verses from the bible which help count down to Christ's birth. This year I'm going to do a mix of the bible verses as well as a family activity such as going to look at Christmas lights in the neighborhood,watching our favorite holiday movie, making hot chocolate, taking cookies to a neighbor, making a snowman with vanilla ice cream (we can't count on snow in Bothell), making snow flakes to hang in the window, etc. As you create your list, be sure to look at your calendar and plan around existing activities for the month. If you need some inspiration for what to include, here are some links:
Idea Page 4- Jesse Tree Devotions (Just use the verses and discussions without building the tree)

If you'd like to purchase a kit complete with ribbon, assorted embellishments, ribbon, and the paper pre-cut (you add the stamped images), email me. Each kit is $12 + shipping & handling and I accept pay pal.
God Bless and Happy Stamping!

No comments:

Post a Comment